CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 26, 2008

OUR BROTHERS' KEEPER

Last Sunday we sang a special hymn in church--"Lord, I would follow thee." To most, there's probably nothing special about it, but what made it special to me was that I got to pick it. The week before, during testimony meeting, our ward chorister had said during her testimony that she would be happy to take requests for songs to sing during sacrament meeting. This particular hymn happens to be one of my favorites because of one phrase it contains, "I would be my brother's keeper..."
My big brother Cory, who passed away 7 years ago, was my hero and best friend. He used to tell me that he was his brother's keeper--and since I was his only brother, I knew he specifically meant me. But he was that way with everyone. He took that phrase to heart.
So, after the ward chorister said she would take requests, I decided to take her up on her offer. That very next week was not only my brother's birthday, but the anniversary of his death. So I asked her if we could sing that hymn. The following Sunday, while the congregation sang in unison a hymn about following the Lord, there was one person paying special attention to the words. And with tears in his eyes, and a lump in his throat, he sang a song about a man whom he loves, and whom he misses dearly. And with gratitude remembered a man who truly was his brother's keeper!
So this Memorial Day I hope and pray that you will also remember with fondness those loved ones who have passed on before you. That you will strive to carry on the legacy they left for you. And that somehow and someway we may all try a little harder to be our brothers' keepers!

4 comments:

condiefamily said...

You are a great man. Thank you for the gentle reminder. I can't believe it has been 7 years. Tragic. Hope all is well for the rest of your family. Say hello to your mom for us the next time you see her.
Wendy

MooreInterest said...

So well put!!

Leslie said...

Carlan, you are a good man. That was so heartfelt to read.

Bev said...

Indeed, he was a good man. He cared deeply for, and was always helping, others -- especially his family. I miss him, too!

I have been blessed to have two very wonderful men for sons. You carry on his legacy well, Carlan!

Love you,
Mom