CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 21, 2008

...A Thousand Words

About 12 years ago I was standing in a small room, in a small Mayan village, in the Highlands of Guatemala, looking at a beautiful painting. It was created by a local man, of the beautiful Lake Atitlan and volcanos that surround his village. As I stood there admiring the painting, wanting to buy it (but knowing I probably couldn't afford it because I was a poor college student), a man walked in the door behind me, walked up to the painting I was looking at, took it off the wall, and bought it. At first I was a little angry at the man, but then he stopped next to me and started to talk. He told me that he had travelled all over the world collecting beautiful pieces of local art. "When you see something that you really like, that moves you," he said, "You can't wait. You just have to buy it. Or you'll always regret it."

So a few days ago Kristen and I walked into Costco, and a local artist had a display of his paintings for sale. Many of you have probably heard of him--his name is Greg Olson. One look at one of his newer paintings and we were stricken. So we bought it. It is titled "Walk with Me." And as it takes its place on the wall of our entry way, we hope it will act as a reminder to us of where we should walk, and what path we should follow.

4 comments:

Amber M. said...

Beautiful. Greg Olsen at Costco? Hmmm...who would have thought?:-)

Merry Christmas, you guys!

Anonymous said...

Carlan,

It is beutiful painting.

Ralf

Stuart Family said...

Love the painting! Hope you all had a Merry Christmas. We've been busy here at the Stuart household. The family went to Rocky Point Mexico for few days and then came back and celebrated Christmas. Ry has been getting ready for his big day yesterday. We had to go buy him new suits, shirts, ties, and shoes. He was called to be 2nd counselor in the Bishopric. CRAZY in know. The sadest part of it all is he shaved his goutee. :( Oh well, I know it will grow back, and I know he is going to be a wonderful counselor. We're counting down the days till Febuary!! Have a good new year. Tell Kris and the kids hello. Love the new haircuts. I like it short, sorry Kris. Love you guys.

Lisa said...

AGREE!!! I love Gregs work! Its so calming!
No regrets with that purchase!