CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Emmonak, Alaska

My first stop on this trip is in the village of Emmonak. I don't always have internet service in the villages, but I do in this one. We have set up clinic in the community center, and upstairs they have a few rooms to rent out, so that is where we are sleeping. This building does have running water. In the bathrooms, in order to let gravity help pull everything away, they have built a little platform, 2 steps up, for the toilet. The roof is already lower than normal, and when I have to step up 2 steps higher to get to the toilet..... Well, needless to say, I can't stand up when trying to use the bathroom. Ok, so that was probably a little too much information, but I thought it was pretty funny when I wacked my head the first time using the bathroom!

Between city council meetings, Bingo, and traditional dance practice, they have me playing musical rooms. Which is a pain having to break down all the equipment and move everything into another room. I've been a little dissappointed in their willingness to be accommodating. Oh well, you do what you've got to do.



Kids will be kids


Cute little girl all bundled up


An elderly tribal woman


Taking a walk to the store


Native tribal dance

1 comments:

Kyndra said...

I love seeing the pictures of the native clothing - it is so beautiful.